Birthday Evetts

Friday, July 11, 2008

Thing 15

I have often wondered about this very topic. Leaving the way we know it and searching for better more interesting ways to teach in order to keep the students learning. It scares me, but at the same time I do see the need for the change. Now, if someone would just fill me in on how we are supposed to accomplish this, that would be very helpful. I can't see a complete benefit from leaving the hard copies, but that doesn't suggest there isn't another way that will help get these students ready for what lies ahead. I don't mind change as long as I understand it, and it has been well thought out. I feel like in the elementary school ages, at least in the primary years, we still need to teach them some of the old fashioned ways, but does that mean I don't totally understand what is coming their way in the future? I just think about reading good books with students and family. Does this stop, and we would get out our very portable laptops and read from those and create our pictures to go with the text? I still think what we have taught thus far is important, but I think there needs to be a better blend of technology teaching as well as the basic fundamentals. I mean what's the point in working on the web and doing different kinds of experiments if the kids can't read,write or do math? But does this mean we just teach these fundamentals differently too? I don't know where to begin to do my part. I am excited and nervous about what lies ahead...and not so very far ahead!

1 comment:

Mrs. Davis said...

I agree. My own kids never get to use computers in their schools unless they are in a computer class. That's just crazy! Our library is great! We give our kids access to information in so many ways, but that changes when they leave elementary school. It's very frustrating because those kids already know so much about technology. They need that to maintain their interest in learning in school.